Not that long ago, we stumbled upon an amazing country group, “Outshyne” via Pandora when we heard their single “Moonlight crush.” The vocals are strong, the lyrics play out a scene in your head, and instantly you find yourself singing along even though you don’t know all the words yet. After playing it on repeat several times, we knew that we wanted to spotlight the band and find out more about them. We downloaded “Starting Over” and also their first CD “Country Boy in Me” and were not disappointed. Their mix of country and southern rock is perfect for todays country music explosion. But who are Outshyne?
Outshyne came together in April of 2007. The band consists of five members, who all went to high school together. They’ve all played in different groups consisting of mostly rock music. With such a strong influence in country and southern rock, they decided to come together and start a country band with a rockin’ edge.
Outshyne consists of :Waylon Owings-Lead Vocals/Acoustic, Josh Coleman-Lead Guitar/Vocals, Casey Joe-Rhythm Guitar/Vocals, Jason Paxton-Bass Guitar, Matthew “Smiley” Norris-Drums
The Team here at Cre8tive Reviews had a few more questions for the guys, and we were able to ask in our exclusive interview. Check out our interview below along with links to purchase and support Outshyne’s music.
1. What’s something unique about you that people would be surprised to know?
We all worked at Burger King together in high school and also all went to the same high school.
2. What is the first thing you are going to do when you win an award for your music?
Take a moment to give thanks to all that have helped us obtain out dreams.
3. Who would you most like to collaborate with on your next project?
There a lot of good artists out there we wouldn’t mind working with. We are all big Eric Church fans so he would probably be one we’d all enjoy.
4. Who are some of your musical influences that have inspired your career?
We have a very diverse influence from 80’s rock to metal to southern rock and country. As far as myself I really like Merle Haggard and Lynyrd Skynyrd. (Waylon)
5. If you could describe your concerts in one word what would that word be?
6. What do you feel sets you apart from other country artists on the radio today?
Our music kinda rides the fence between new rocking county and old country. We aren’t scared to play anything or try any song. We just love playing music.
7. How excited are you guys hearing your music on SiriusXMTheHighway Radio Hot 45 Countdown and every week it’s moving up? Congrats!
John Marks and everyone at the Highway has been so great to us. It has just moved up to number #8 which really blew all of our minds.
8. Did you guys play a showcase for a labels, what are they looking for and how did you guys get signed with your current label Milllstar Music?
We met Millstar through a venue we were playing early in our career. They helped us sponsor Kenny Wallace’s Car in the Nascar Nationwide series and we have been partners ever since.
9. Do you guys like moonshine and Moonlight Crush who wrote it and
was it about someone’s first love first date first crush?
Moonlight Crush was actually pitched to us and written by Marv Green, Blake Wise and Rodney Clawson. And of course we like moonshine lol! We all actually loved the song soon as it was pitched to us.
10. Where did your name come from & what’s the meaning behind it?
We had a bunch of name in a hat. It was our first show and our bass player Jason said he wasn’t gonna play if we didn’t have a name. So we drew it out of the hat and that’s what we have become. We had other names like “camouflage double wide” lol
What a great interview with a great group of guys! We want to give a HUGE thanks to Outshyne for taking the time out of their busy schedules to interview with us! We also cant wait to see their single move up to #1, and know it’s just a matter of time.
To find out more about Outshyne and purchase their music, please visit them online at the following places: